The Friendly Airports for Mothers Act of 2017 passed on October 5th and here's what it means for you -
ALL large and medium-sized airports are now required to provide a clean, private, non-bathroom space in each terminal for the expression of breast milk. The space must:
- Be accessible to persons with disabilities
- Available in each terminal building after the security checkpoint
- Include a place to sit, a table or other flat surface, and an electrical outlet.
- Is shielded from view and free from intrusion from the public
- Has a door that can be locked
The Act also requires airports to provide a baby changing table in one men's and one women's restroom in each passenger terminal building. This is huge!! Has your husband ever had to do this? This is not an easy way to change a diaper. I feel sorry for both of them, don't you?
Father changing son on bathroom floor. Picture from Fatherly.com
Kudos to Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) and Representative Steve Knight (R-CA-25) for getting this life-changing piece of legislation through without opposition.
Whether you're a traveling family with young children, or a working mom who travels for work and needs a quiet space to pump, travel days just got a whole lot easier.